Total Pageviews

Sunday 7 April 2013

WEAPON MODELLING: ASSAULT RIFLE DEVELOPMENT AND BAKED

     Coming up to the deadline for the last assignment of the year now - research, design, develop  texture and present a first person shooter gun in 3Ds Max.

   I started this assignment a month and a half ago with a weapon I researched, designed and modeled thoroughly. Unfortunately, this weapon was not up to the standard it should of been, or at least the issues found in the weapon would render any further progress below standard - I had to start again. My tutor did say however, that I could finish this weapon whilst starting a new one. Due to other course commitments, I haven't managed to finish the Assault Rifle, however, this is not to say I won't over summer.

   It seemed a waste to just drop the weapon to the side and continue on with a new weapon, so I decided to include the Assault Rifle (unfinished) in the final hand-in. This Assault Rifle, which I developed until baking the Normal Map, is below in two presentation sheets.


WEAPON MODELLING - ASSAULT RIFLE DEVELOPMENT
by Christian Whelan
WEAPON MODELLING - ASSAULT RIFLE TURN-AROUND
by Christian Whelan

      The presentation sheets really say all I need to say, so overall, I was and am really happy with how it turned out. Yes, it has topology issues, yes it has smoothing issues and yes, the symmetry screwed up the barrels and the side specific features. But regardless of this, I think considering it was my first attempt at modelling anything even remotely complex, it turned out great. It' s a complex weapon, and I think considering the ambition I put into this design, I pulled it off pretty nicely.

Can't wait to texture this!

NEXT POST: WEAPON MODELLING: SHOTGUN DEVELOPMENT AND COMPLETE

No comments:

Post a Comment