Total Pageviews

Sunday 9 December 2012

3DS MAX: SCENE MODELLING ATTEMPT

          Over the first few weeks of learning how to use 3Ds Max I was taught the basics - moving, scaling, rotating and the basics in editing.  Using standard and primitive objects to make basic scenes, I soon managed to model crates, hammers, tables and chairs. With this knowledge in place, we were then taught how to light objects, render objects and on a vague level, texture objects with the use of the compact materials editor. It was then with this knowledge, that our tutor tasked us to develop any scene we wanted in order to practice our newly developed skills.

    Below was this attempt - a mixture of everything I had learned with a little added hard work to progress my understanding to a higher level.





I decided to take my experience in developing a room to the next level and create an entire scene made up of multiple objects. Each object would test my ability in different situation. The objects I created were;


  • Table - inspired by a rusty table found off Google.com
  • Lamp - inspired by my own personal lamp and designs I also liked.
  • Newtons Cradle - an object that used all skills I had learned.
  • Futuristic Grenade - required complete imagination, but was partially inspired by a 1920's grenade.
  • Book - intricate object that required attention to detail.
  • Pencil - practiced the ability to create a recognizable object with as little detail as possible.
  • Kettle - standard object to add decoration.
  • Pipe - first object created to push my limits the extreme.

     Overall, the hard work paid off. Standing alone, the scene looked amazing. My tutor told me "symmetry can be crippling in game design and modelling, because nothing is truly symmetrical". Thus, I ensured nothing was symmetrical and in result, I had developed a scene that was pleasing to the eye, but also interesting to look at it. All that was needed now was the render.

     Experimenting with sky lights, spot lights and ambient-occlusion rendering. I was told to render a scene with ambient-occlusion, one spot light and one sky light. Both renders above conform to this praxis, but only the top attempt was successful in the utilization. The second image was a result of too many "bounces" and "tracers" in the render setup, giving the impression the scene was dusty and dreamlike. For some strange reason, I prefer this, however I decided to change the settings and ended with the first image.

     In terms of lighting, the scene was also a success. The way the light filters through the lamp shade and  shrouds around the newtons cradle and book, highlighting the ambient-occlusion effect on the little details such as the book and pencil was a success. The spot light coming through the window ensures nothing it to one dimensional and the skylight ensures the ambient-occlusion comes through and blends everything together in one seamless blue, night sky atmosphere was also a success.

          The next stage was to learn how to edit polygons and texture objects so that this piece can really achieve the detail I would usually strive for.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE A COMMENT! I'D APPRECIATE IT!

NEXT POST:  ASSIGNMENT 1 IDEAS
 

No comments:

Post a Comment