Total Pageviews

Sunday 3 March 2013

WEAPON MODELLING: MODEL PROGRESS 01/03/2013

         Well yesterday was my 21st birthday, so I didn't really make any progress on my model, thankfully I'd already made some good progress on it the night before. Anyway, the fun is over now, so I sat at my laptop for a good hour adding in the supporting geometry until my laptop decided to commit suicide and corrupt the single and only version of the model... brilliant - two weeks of work gone.

   By some miracle of good luck, it turns out 3Ds Max 2012 has a Auto Back-Up feature. So just when all seemed lost, I managed to open to most recent backup found and re save my file 4 times in 4 separate places. It's set me back a good couple of hours but at least not all was lost. I won't be making that mistake again.

     Anyhow, I made a clone of the gun, added in the supporting geometry (not an easy task when you have an object full of hidden tris and 3 sides faces) and applied the turbo smooth to each of the sections. However it turned out I forgot to add in two huge details - the pull back bullet gun thing (on the side) on the rivets that give the gun some depth.

It turned out great I think! Have a look.


COMMENTS AND CRITICISMS APPRECIATED!

|WEAPON MODELLING - ORIGINAL CONCEPT
by Christian Whelan
WEAPON MODELLING - MODEL TURN-AROUND (HIGH POLY)
by Christian Whelan

    It didn't come without a few issues. The more complex sections of the weapon were a real struggle when it came to adding in loops and cuts. In fact, I'm still unsure whether or not my topology is at a high standard. It seems messy in some parts, or maybe that's just me. After all, I've been staring at it for a good few hours now. 

Anyhow, I added in all detail that give the weapon it's 'character' and depth. The GIF below shows these and when I finally polished out the imperfections (which I'll be made aware of on Monday) I'll be able to map and texture it. Can't wait...


WEAPON MODELLING - MODEL DETAILS
by Christian Whelan

NEXT POST: WEAPON MODELLING: MODEL PROGRESS 09/03/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment