Total Pageviews

Monday 25 March 2013

WEAPON MODELLING: SHOTGUN HIGH / LOW POLY

      3 hours from start to finish, I've managed to develop a shotgun using two references two create a more unique weapon , rather than a bog standard shotgun. Personally, I absolutely love the results. Don't get me wrong, there were a few issues along the way, and it was a slog adding in all the supporting geometry. But in the end, even though there is still one graphical inconsistency (the bottom barrel thingy...), it doesn't matter, because it's only a minor detail. Thank god the hard part is over. Have a look at both versions below!

Oh, I haven't made the .GIF files yet, but I'm sure they'll screw up like they usually do...


COMMENTS AND CRITICISMS APPRECIATED!

WEAPON MODELLING - LOW POLY SHOTGUN
by Christian Whelan
WEAPON MODELLING - HIGH POLY SHOTGUN
by Christian Whelan
WEAPON MODELLING - COMPARISON .GIF
by Christian Whelan
WEAPON MODELLING - DETAILS COMPARISON
by Christian Whelan

       Ok, so maybe the .GIF images didn't screw up (makes a change). As you can probably tell, the majority of the turbo smoothing just gives the shotgun those nice lines and curves, but when the supporting topology is most present (the pump, the barrel and the trigger), you can really see the difference, and if successful, it will show when I bake the normal map to the low poly model.

     So that's it, it done. This time, I've made show there are no inconsistencies, and that I added in all the side specific details 'after' I added the symmetry modifier. The result, hopefully, is a model that will look good at all future stages, leaving me with a nicely modelled, mapped and textured weapon. 

It's a shame I didn't pay this must attention to detail on my first model!

NEXT POST: WEAPON MODELLING - MAPPED MODEL / UV MAP

No comments:

Post a Comment