Total Pageviews

Monday 18 February 2013

WEAPON MODELLING: MODEL PROGRESS 18/02/2013

      I got the go ahead from my tutor to start modelling my final concept for my weapon design. So I spent the last 2 hours working my head around 3Ds Max's interface again (UDK has brainwashed me). I've not made much progress to be honest, but its a start and I learnt a neat new trick today that is a miracle time saver.

The reference image and in progress model are below.

WEAPON MODEL - REFERENCE
WEAPON MODEL - ORTHOGRAPHIC VIEW
by Christian Whelan
WEAPON MODEL - PERSPECTIVE VIEW
by Christian Whelan

      I started by importing my final concept design image onto a primitive box as a constant working reference when modelling. From that point, I could begin building up the indidivudal parts of the weapon using the "Create" tool, not worrying too much about both sides of the weapon - Mirroring can fix that later. So far, I've only got one section of the weapon's grip complete.

By creating a primitive box, converting it to an editable poly, then deleting the faces, I had a virtual space to work on and edit. Using the "Create" tool, I could literally cut in the shape I wanted. It was important I did this in the orthographic view, as to ensure the perspective wasnt scewed, and therefore the proportions. From this basic shape, I can cut in the edge faces (to keep topology), used the inset tool (to create and movable border), the extrude tool (to create more faces) and the move tool (to specificly edit the topology). The result was the grip below.

I just need to repeat this process over and over to get the weapons individual parts modelled. From that point, I would then mirror the entire weapon and finish modelling the side specific features

NEXT POST: WEAPON MODELLING: MODEL PROGRESS 25/02/2013






No comments:

Post a Comment