Total Pageviews

Sunday 17 February 2013

WEAPON MODELLING: WEAPON CONCEPTS

       Looking at the silhouette designs I had completed, I chose 4 of the silhouettes to take further into this design      process. With these four basic silhouettes, I began to add in the detail to come up with a few designs. It's important to note that the three right hand designs originate from the same silhouette - I like that one (obviously...). Have a look at them below!

COMMENTS AND CRITICISMS APPRECIATED!

WEAPON MODELLING - WEAPON CONCEPTS
by Christian Whelan
WEAPON MODELLING - WEAPON CONCEPTS (COLOUR)
by Christian Whelan


       To develop these ideas, I obviously started with the silhouette. From this point on, before I designed anything, I looked at the research and reference material, took parts of real weapons and stitched them together in a creative way. The idea, was to design a selection of different weapons with a futuristic theme. I think I succeed in this goal.

However, what's important, and what I'm proud of, is that these weapons don't just seem like doodles for the sake of doodling. They look like they actually work - like they contain informed design choices. This is without a doubt because of the research and referencing that went into developing the individual aspects of each of these weapons.

My favourites? The top left and the middle two. They're consistent, they're effective and they're believable. I tried my best to design each of the weapons as if they fit together in clear, concise modules - I wanted the weapons to be clinical in shape. As for the colour scheme, well, for some strange reason, my unconscious seems to have an obsession with colours black and red. It looks great, don't get me wrong, but I'm going to have to break this mould if I am to improve when designing anything.

I still don't know which weapon or weapon aspect to take forward into the final turn around design. Maybe I'll take the middle left forward and incorporate aspects of the middle left. But then again, I love the middle right design in general, it's just that I prefer the shape of the middle left and the idea of the top left. It's going to be hard. Maybe I'll ask the opinion of others first.

NEXT POST: WEAPON MODELLING: WEAPON DESIGN TURN-AROUND

No comments:

Post a Comment