Total Pageviews

Friday 15 February 2013

WEAPON MODELLING: WEAPON SILHOUETTES

       Before I even start to design any weapons in detail, I wanted to brainstorms lots of basic silhouettes. To me, it's the most important part of designing anything like this. Blocking out basic shapes lets me fill in the gaps with my imagination - over thinking things can be detrimental to initial designs (I personally believe). From these basic designs, I could then start to worry about the specific details that make a weapon an assault rifle, shotgun, handgun and so on. 

    I spent the last 45 minutes developing the below silhouettes with hardly any attention to detail. Anything was acceptable, and by following this method, I ended up with a large variety of weapon ideas - some bad, some good. With this database of ideas, I can and may mix and match aspects for the final weapon design, but for now, just learning what works and what doesn't is a great tool to find my personal design direction.


WEAPON MODELLING - WEAPON SILHOUETTES
by Christian Whelan

     Some weapons look realistic, some look conceptual and some look futuristic, but they all have definite potential to be categorised and developed. So which are my favourites?

     Well, it's hard to point them out, but a lot of the circular inspired weapons (futuristic weapons) I love. Rather than go through them all, I love most of the pistol and assault rifle designs. Which surprised me, as the idea of a pistol sounded monotonous. However, there is one design in here I'm passionate about and may have already chosen to be the basis of this assignment - the large heavy weapon. The one with the three circular trigger holes. To me, this one is simple, yet incredibly interesting. It really stands out a from the rest!

  However, although a difficult task, I shall choose a few of these designs and start to add in the individual details and maybe some basic colours before I choose the final weapon to take to the concept and development stages.

NEXT POST: WEAPON MODELLING: ASSAULT / HEAVY MACHINE GUN RESEARCH

No comments:

Post a Comment